East Africa Famine Crisis
6 years ago approximately 260,000 people died from famine in Somalia because people did not act quickly enough.
Nearly 30,000 children under the age of five died in just 3 months. It was the worst famine in 25 years.
Now as you read this page, it’s happening again, people are starving to death.
East Africa is being hit with an unprecedented crisis affecting over 11 million people just in South Sudan and Somalia.
South Sudan is already in a state of Famine and the UN have warned there is only a two-month window to prevent a famine in Somalia.
Situation in South Sudan
- More than three years of conflict have disrupted farming, destroyed food stores and forced people to flee recurring attacks.
- 4.9 million people are facing severe food insecurity since February this year.
- Over 250,000 children are severely malnourished
- A total of 3.4 million people have been forced to flee their homes
- Including 1.9 million people who have been internally displaced and 1.5 million refugees who have fled fighting and famine in South Sudan to neighbouring countries,
Situation in Somalia
- The United Nations said Somalia is at a pre-famine stage,
- A severe drought has been ongoing since mid-2015,
- 6.2 million lives are at risk.
- 363,000 children under the age of 5 are acutely malnourished, including 71,000 who are severely malnourished and in need of urgent nutrition support, including lifesaving treatment.
How are we responding?
Muntada Aid has always been a charity that has specialised in Africa.
We are currently mobilising our teams in both Somalia and South Sudan to deliver emergency food packs and water, targeting some of those most affected by the famine. These food packs will contain essential staple food items that are high in nutrients and will allow families to survive through this crisis. As well as that we will be delivering water tankers and water drums to families. This will prevent dependency on dirty water that is causing many of the deaths, due to water born diseases.
- Family Food Pack Sudan | £30
Details: Lentils, beans, rice, macaroni, salt, flour, oil, powder milk, soap, 2 blankets, 2 mats
- Family Food Pack Somalia | £66
Details: Rice, Flour, Sugar, oil, dates, baby milk
- Need is Greatest |£150
Details: This would be allocated to a general pot specifically for areas where the need is the greatest.
- Large Water Truck | £220
Details: Will provide water for 3000 people
- 4 Large Water Trucks | £880
Details: Will provide water for 12000 people
We cannot let the loss of lives in 2011 happen again.
If we want to avoid it we have to act now, before it’s too late.